Hourly trend: It might be a high demand for people commuting to work. Early morning and late evening can have different trend (cyclist) and low demand during 10:00 pm to 4:00 am.
Daily Trend: Users demand more bike on weekdays as compared to weekend or holiday.
Rain: The demand of bikes will be lower on a rainy day as compared to a sunny day. Similarly, higher humidity will cause to lower the demand and vice versa.
Temperature: In Ireland, temperature has positive correlation with bike demand.
Traffic: It can be positively correlated with Bike demand. Higher traffic may force people to use bike as compared to other road transport medium like car, taxi etc.
Date and time - new features
season: (1 = Spring, 2 = Summer, 3 = Fall, 4 = Winter)
duration: duration of the rental
Times of the Day
- Morning (from 7am to noon)
- Afternoon (from midday to 6pm)
- Evening (from 6pm to 10pm)
- Night (from 10pm to 5am)
Rainfall Intensity Level
PDF direct link: Water in the atmosphere
Met Éireann Weather Forecast API
API URL: https://data.gov.ie/dataset/met-eireann-weather-forecast-api/resource/5d156b15-38b8-4de9-921b-0ffc8704c88e
Precipitation unit: Rain will be output in millimetres (mm).
The minvalue, value and maxvalue values are derived from statistical analysis of the forecast, and refer to the lower (20th percentile), middle (60th percentile) and higher (80th percentile) expected amount. If minvalue and maxvalue are not output, value is the basic forecast amount.
<precipitation unit="mm" value="0.0" minvalue="0.0" maxvalue="0.1"/>
Wind Speed Beaufort scale
The Irish Meteorological Service - BEAUFORT SCALE
Another source: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/guides/coast-and-sea/beaufort-scale
Grouped Wind Speed (Beaufort scale)
|Calm / Light Breeze||0~2|
|Strong Breeze / Near Gale||6-7|
|Gale / Storm||8~12|
Initial new features
- Working Day (eg. weekend)
- Season (eg. Summer)
- Times of Day (eg. Morning)
- Day of the week (eg. Monday)
- Rainfall Intensity Level (eg. light rain)
- Wind Speed (Beaufort Scale)
- Wind Speed (grouped bft wind speed - helps high cardinality)
- Temperature round (eg. 16.7°C -> 17°C)
- Temperature Bins (clusters for different temperatures)
- Humidity Bins (clusters for different relative humidity levels)
See Feature Engineering Notebook